Monday, February 20, 2023

Third-grader alerts adults to trash fire on Cherry Street

Third-grader Sariah was playing on the 300 block of Cherry Street when she saw the smoldering trash hopper across the street. She immediately swung into action and alerted adults in her home, who called it in.

A firefighter who was first on scene pulled the hopper and debris away from the house and extinguished most of the fire with a $10 household fire extinguisher.  Other firefighters soon arrived, checked the house and removed siding from a corner of the foundation where the hopper had stood and sprayed it down.

Fire Chief Scott Ryno said that until firefighters arrived, the occupant of the 336 Cherry Street house was unaware of the fire.

Thanks to Sariah's quick thinking, a potential tragedy was averted.

No comments: