The bridge spanning the Susquehanna River from Columbia to Wrightsville was completed and opened in 1930 and is officially known as the Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge.
On Armistice Day 1930, it was "Dedicated in memory of the sons and daughters of Lancaster and York Counties, Pennsylvania who have served in the wars of their country," according to a plaque mounted on the bridge (shown above).
(Armistice Day was changed to Veterans Day in 1954.)
On Veterans Day 1980 - 50 years after the original dedication - the bridge was rededicated as the Veterans Memorial Bridge, according to the plaque shown above, which is also mounted on the bridge.
Post a Comment