When: Columbia Borough Council virtual meeting, Sept. 22.
What Happened: Borough Council approved the placement of a historic bronze plaque on the Columbia Market House by the Columbia Economic Development Corporation.
Why it's important: The Columbia Market House at 15 South Third St. was built in 1869. It is a focal point of a project recognizing Columbia's historic sites, co-sponsored by the Columbia Economic Development Corporation, Columbia Historic Preservation Society and Susquehanna Valley Chamber of Commerce. Selected buildings are located primarily in the 100-400 blocks of Cherry, Locust and Walnut streets plus the first block of South Second Street. The project includes research on the borough's historic structures, placement of historic markers, a brochure, a walking tour and a digital virtual map.
Union Street properties: Council approved the demolition of structures at 422 and 424 Union Street to make room for a parking lot for residents of Columbia Catholic Housing for the Elderly's Saint Peter Apartments at 400 Union St. Several residents expressed concern, citing the borough's loss of taxable properties.Permit database: Council approved a purchase of a subscription to a municipal database system called Permit Manager for $16,000 plus an $1,850 annual fee. This will allow digital storage and access to data on the borough's zoning/building, historic architectural, outdoor fire and stormwater permits.