Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Officials investigate why smoke detector did not sound during deadly fire in Columbia

Columbia Fire Chief Doug Kemmerly compares the melted smoke detector from the house fire to a new one.
We're learning more about how officials say the Saturday morning fire that killed a 20-year-old Columbia woman and her two-year-old daughter could have been prevented.
Columbia Borough Fire Chief Douglas Kemmerly told FOX43 Monday that the home on the 200 block of South Second Street had just one smoke detector, and it wasn't working at the time of the fire.
As family and neighbors mourn the loss of two young people, Kemmerly and Columbia Borough's Department of Codes are trying to figure out why the detector didn't sound.
According to Kemmerly, the battery inside the detector had "enough juice"; firefighters also found it mounted on a wall inside the home.


No comments: