Last weekend was a busy one at the Columbia Historic Preservation Society (CHiPS). Several hundred visitors passed through the hallowed halls to see the railroad display and the centerpiece attraction, a scale model of a handmade 1890 church created by Jacob Brommer. The church display greeted visitors on the first floor, along with expansive and finely detailed train displays, complete with running trains, on both the first and second floors.
The exhibits will be on display again this coming weekend, Saturday and Sunday, 1 to 4 p.m. at 21 North Second Street. Admission is free, but donations are welcome.
Tony Segro of CHiPS accepted a framed photo of old Columbia from Leon Good.
A handmade church created by Jacob Brommer wowed museum visitors.
A peek inside the church complete with detailed pews, pulpit, and bible.
Steps to the pulpit
First and second floor railroad exhibits were on display, including a moving train spouting steam. The display shown above is on the second floor and includes detailed replicas of historic Columbia buildings accurately arranged according to old photographs.
A scale model of the former railroad roundhouse
(Bootleg Antiques is on the upper left.)
The Pennsylvania Railroad Roundhouse opened on April 28, 1874 with 40 stalls.
Replica of a snow-covered hamlet in the railroad exhibit
Artist Tony Segro created the vast majority of items in the railroad exhibit.