Thursday, January 31, 2013
Columbia residents oppose nude dancing at club
Testimony closed Wednesday evening on an application to allow full-nude dancing at a Columbia Borough strip club.
"We want to be nude like every other BYOB club in Pennsylvania and not work at a disadvantage," said Cassandra Fisher, general manager of Club Good Times, 425 Union St., where she also dances.
"Everyone would make more money if we were nude."
The community, however, was firm in its opposition to the plan. During nearly 30 minutes of public testimony before the borough's zoning hearing board, several residents registered their displeasure with the bar.
Union Street resident Biddie Helton said patrons exiting the club once harassed her to the extent that she pulled a shotgun on them.
Helton said it "is not fair for any woman in this town for their husbands to go into that bar and to witness these women taking their clothes off. This town does not need nude women. If they want to get naked, let them go to a parking lot and get naked."
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Report finds low-income working families are paying more in taxes - CW 15
PA made the "Terrible 10" list.
Local police chief working with schools to make sure they are prepared for school shooting - CBS 21 News
Local SPCA proves to be an attractive option
Mayor Leo Lutz of Columbia provided a copy of borough policy, which says stray dogs are held temporarily at the borough shed. If a dog's owner is not identified within four hours, dogs are taken to Columbia Animal Hospital for care.
"After 48 hours, if the dog is still in the care of the Columbia Animal Hospital and an owner has not been identified, the canine will be euthanized and cremated," the policy states.
"It is not the borough's intent to euthanize animals, but to find them homes," Lutz added. "This procedure is to give guidelines for operation. We will make every attempt to find a home for the animal," including efforts to find foster care beyond the initial 48 hours while an owner is sought.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
What happened . . . ?
A hopeful sign?
A sign of the times? - Central Dauphin School Board OKs armed resource officer in 3 middle schools | PennLive.com
Monday, January 28, 2013
Another one bites the dust
Hang in there, Mountville Motor Sales and Royer's Flowers and Gifts. We need you!
DEP Secretary Provides Update on Susquehanna River, Waterways | The Susquehanna is not impaired | WPMT FOX43
Go HERE for a previous article on the health of the Susquehanna.
Ex-wife of 'Breaking Amish' cast member speaks out about 'reality' show - CW 15
Sunday, January 27, 2013
Walking on thin ice
I've heard tales of how, during some severe winters in the 1950s, guys would drive cars - on the ice - across to Wrightsville.
Saturday, January 26, 2013
Emergency personnel kept busy due to snow
Outdoor show: Gun rights advocates claim victory after turbulent week | PennLive.com
Police: Homeowner holds robber at gunpoint until police arrive
Friday, January 25, 2013
More on the LCB ripoff - CEO of Liquor Control Board set to retire, become a consultant on your tax money - CW 15
Lottery privatization: Camelot facing criticism in the United Kingdom for executive bonus pay and doubling of lottery prices | PennLive.com
Hundreds of Lancaster County residents join March For Life in Washington in protest of legalized abortion
Columbia woman attends rally in Washington.
Pa. liquor chief to retire, return as consultant at $80/hour - CW 15
PennDOT to Inspect Norman Wood Bridge, Jan. 28-30 | WPMT FOX43
Hempfield High School senior, once thought dead in crash, comes home
Thursday, January 24, 2013
All kinds of artworks show up at the "Show up and Show Show," including works by Bob Hammer
Prosecutors seek death penalty against Columbia couple in homicide of infant son
PSU names college official as integrity officer
Like an unwanted guest, winter is here
The worst thing about winter, though - besides heating bills, dead batteries, and frozen pipes - is there's no one to blame it on. I can't point the finger of shame (frozen though it may be) at those rotten Republicans in Congress, or big banks, or the CIA, or the military-industrial complex. Which makes one frustrated, as well as cold. My main recourse is to bitch and grumble to whomever will listen, and no one will, not voluntarily anyway, and I don't blame them.
This morning, we got a dusting of snow, just enough to be a nuisance. Tomorrow - more snow? Who knows? Certainly not the local weathermen. I hate that false certitude they toss at us, as if anyone could predict the future. How can they finagle and lie so often and still keep their jobs? As I've said elsewhere, every weather forecast should include the disclaimer, "For entertainment purposes only. Not to be taken seriously."
I love it when they give us the odds of precipitation, as in "There's a 40% chance of rain next Monday." If it rains, they're covered. If it doesn't, they're right, too. That kind of prediction is meaningless. One could name any percentage of probability about anything and still claim to be right. I could say there's a 99% chance of a zombie apocalypse tomorrow. If it doesn't happen, I can say there was a 1% chance against it and I'm right after all.
All that aside, we're left with the simple (and sad) fact that frigid weather is here. We're right dead-center in the dead of winter, and there's nothing we can do to change it, or hurry it along. No way to say, "I hate to cut this short, but I have things to do."
We're going to have to dig in, hunker down, and wait it out.
Old Man Winter is definitely messin' with us, and he is one nasty, old bastard.
PPL trimming branches | WPMT FOX43
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Cold thoughts on a frigid day
Birds in bare trees try to out-lament each other by chirping and squawking about who's coldest.
I'm down at the tracks. A Norfolk Southern train rumbles by, screaming so loudly it hurts my ears. I place my hands over my earmuffs.
I wonder what's in those train cars. If a train ever derails, toxic chemicals could escape from a ruptured tank car and kill everyone in their sleep up to 3rd Street and beyond. Hopefully, one of the cars will also leak nitrous oxide so everyone can die laughing.
Gun Control Pennsylvania; Pennsylvania Bear Arms Protection | WPMT FOX43
NRA Eastern Sports Outdoor Show; Assault weapons modern sporting rifles | WPMT FOX43
Now, that's a good idea!
Amish farmer charged with killing young eagle - News
Three hawks and an eagle? Take this guy's gun away! Oh wait, someone did. Let's hope it's permanent.
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Formerly of Columbia - Sexual Assault Suspect Arrested; Police nab sexual assault suspect in Ephrata | WPMT FOX43
MAHS to host talk on Shenks Ferry and Susquehannocks - Announcements - LancasterOnline.com
Pennsylvania State University now a leader in Clery compliance
Yeah, but what took so long, Penn State?
You got caught big time, so now you're gonna comply.
Someone needs to dig deep and find out how many other cases were covered up.